PAY EQUITY

Beyond principles of fairness, the matter of gender pay equity concerns not only the sustenance and mobility of employees, but also the security of families and the strength of the overall economy.  Certain assessments reveal the median earnings of women working full-time, year-round total only 78 percent of men’s median compensation, leaving a disparity of 22 percent. New Jersey ranks 19th among the states in terms of the wage gap, with females on average earning $48,640 as compared to $60,815 for males, a 20-percent difference. Even when adjusting the data and methodology to account for multiple variables, analyses support the existence of gender-based wage discrepancies, with negative outcomes.  Closing the pay gap in New Jersey requires the promotion of greater transparency and the protection of recovery rights related to discrimination, in concert with more comprehensive policies, such as those that lift wages, facilitate child care and ensure earned sick leave.